We’re committed to taking action to confront systemic racism. As part of this effort, we’re working on educating ourselves, sharing resources with one another, volunteering our time, giving to causes, seeking out more content that amplifies BIPOC voices, and taking steps to incorporate an anti-bias framework into the work we do as people making digital products and tools for other people.
We asked our Thinkers to share the actions they’re taking and resources they’re using right now, and the following list is what the team came up with. Please feel free to browse this list and share these resources with others.
Note: we’ll update this list periodically so that it grows and evolves over time.
Resources on Inclusive Design
- Inclusive Design by Microsoft – An explanation of the methodology with additional resources
- How to begin designing for diversity by Boyuan Gao and Jahan Mantin of Project Inkblot, with illustrations by Fanny Luor
Watch, read, listen
- Prioritizing DEI During Crisis – A webinar by the Chamber of Commerce, June 2020. (Password: 7X^o5H*o)
- Meaningful Discussions at Work: Why They Matter, and How to Make Them Happen by John Boitnott
- How to Help Co-Create an End to Racial Injustice by Due Quach
- Talking About Race – Resources from the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Allyship In Action: How Managers Can Support Black Employees Right Now by Paradigm
- Black in Technology – A list of stories written by members of the organization
- How to deconstruct racism, one headline at a time by Baratunde Thurston
- The racial implications of AI and UX by Jesse Childs
- Removing Bias in AI — Part 1: Diverse Teams and a Redefined Design Process by Oliver Lindberg
- Removing Bias in AI — Part 2: Tackling Gender and Racial Bias by Oliver Lindberg
Meetup groups, organizations, and communities to follow
- Blacks who Design – A Twitter directory of accomplished Black designers in the industry
- People of Color in Tech – A site with interviews, articles, a podcast, and a newsletter. Also, a link to their job board: www.pocitjobs.com
- Philly Tech Sistas – An organization working to diversify the Philadelphia tech industry by empowering women of color with skills and tools needed to thrive
- Black UX Collective – A collection of articles from Black UX Designers
- Nairobi Design Institute – A program educating the next generation of creative leaders and designers to fill the needs of and address challenges in Africa
- She Designs – An inclusive community passionate about encouraging women to develop tech skills
- Black Women in Product Design – A community for black women pursuing design careers in tech
- 28 Days of Black Designers – A design project that focuses on the stories and work of Black designers.
- Onyx Valley – A community-building venture offering recruiting and consulting services to tech companies and organizations with user experience (UX) needs that are interested in attracting and retaining diverse talent.
- SMASH program – An organization building a strong, diverse, and socially-conscious tech workforce by leveling the playing field through academic learning and experiential engagement for high school and college students.
Upcoming events and conferences
- How Traditional Design Thinking Protects White Supremacy [encore] by Creative Reaction Lab
- Recognizing Exclusion to Create Inclusion by Content Strategy Philly
- Allyship and Action Summit by Palette Group
- Betrayed by Design: Recognizing Exclusion to Create Inclusion by Content Strategy Philly
- AFROTECH – An annual conference for Black techies, startups and entrepreneurs
Businesses to support
- Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee and Books – A local bookshop that carries many of the design-focused books we purchase for new Thinkers (below). Consider shopping here to purchase these resources:
- Lean UX: Designing Great Products with Agile Teams by Jeff Gothelf and Josh Seiden
- Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath
- The Art of Client Services: The Classic Guide by Robert Solomon
- Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina Halvorson and Melissa Rach
- Creativity, Inc: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull and Amy Wallace
- The Pocket Universal Principles of Design by William Lidwell
- Outliers by by Malcom Gladwell
- Harriett’s Bookshop – Another local bookshop. This shop is currently restocking, but check back in for design, technology, or leadership resources
- Black and Mobile – An app that sources black-owned restaurants and provides food delivery. This is a great tool for your upcoming office, meetup, or tech event catering needs
- REC Philly – A Philly-based maker space for creatives and the performing arts